THE OHIO BACKROADS ADVENTURE TOUR
A Four-Day Metric Mille
Dates – 8/5/12 through 8/9/12
The Ohio Backroads Adventure is a 2012 Great Lakes Regional event presented by the Western Reserve Section | Mercedes Benz Club of America. This is a four-day driving tour that will go through east-central and southeast Ohio featuring the “roads less traveled.”
While our dinners and event stops will require being time-certain, participants will tour at their own pace and on their own schedule. Spend as much time or as little time as you desire at the various stops along the way.
Our stops will be interesting and not always seen by the everyday tourist. A husband-wife team developed this tour for you. Don and Carol Velcio’s varied interests were used to balance the roads and the stops to satisfy everyone in your group.
The tour is not a rally, a race, or a speed contest of any kind. Everyone should observe all legal limits and their own personal limits as well.
Readers of Car and Driver magazine have read about the editors’ well-loved but secret roads through Ohio’s Appalachian mountain foothills. On this tour, you’ll drive many of our well-loved roads. Be warned – some roads will seem like never-ending ups and downs curving right and left. These are drivers’ roads. This isn’t going to be a cruise control snore down the interstate. (You’ll love it).
Participants will make their own hotel reservations at our suggested spots or any other of their own choosing. Blocks of rooms are being held for us thirty days prior to the event. Book early! Generous discounts are being extended to us from the normal rack rates.
Sunday night, 8/5/12 – Kickoff buffet dinner (included in your entry fee) with cash bar, Parma, OH – Das Schnitzel Haus.
Monday 8/6/12, Day 1–Head out of Cleveland to Cambridge, Ohio. 160 miles. We will see:
- Berlin, OH in the heart of Ohio’s world-famous Amish country – lots of shopping opportunities.
- Hershberger Bakery and Farm, Charm, OH – definitely worth your time to stop, shop, snack, and visit the petting zoo.
- Roscoe Village, Coshocton – Ohio and Erie Canal history and lunch opportunity.
- Lodging at the Comfort Inn (a gold medal winner), Cambridge, OH.
- Dinner on your own or with your friends in Cambridge.
Tuesday 8/7/12, Day 2–Cambridge to The Wilds back to Cambridge. 140 miles. “If Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy” is our theme today. We will see:
- Dresden, Ohio contains shopping opportunities galore. It was Longaberger’s premier location before the construction of the Longaberger Homestead.
- The Longaberger Homestead is known to every basket collector and basket maker. Shopping and more are available to make everyone in your party happy. Lunch opportunities in the Restaurant or the Barn.
- Cross the unique “Y-Bridge” in Zanesville. You’ll briefly be on the early nineteenth century National Road.
- Take a long drive out into the heart of strip mine country. See the Miner’s Memorial complete with the “Big Muskie” bucket. Definitely worth a visit.
- Enjoy The Wilds “Sunset Safari Tour” and buffet dinner (included in your entry fee). The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative wildlife conservation centers in the world. Twilight is a magical time of day to experience The Wilds.
- Return to our lodging at the Comfort Inn in Cambridge (about 25 miles from The Wilds).
Continue reading »